Monday, January 23, 2012

Thongs...not Flip Flops.

Dear Non-Australians and New Zealanders,
I wish to inform you that your word 'Flip Flop' is stupid and completely incorrect.  'Thong' is the correct word, no it is not the dental floss undergarment that is strategically placed in the natal cleft of your gluteus maximus, also known as the G-string or to some, permanent wedgies.  

Australians have a long 'fashion' history with the rubber thong (I use the term fashion history very loosely).  Firstly produced by our neighbours in New Zealand in the late 1950s and then we called it!  Sorry.  Traditionally worn as beachwear during the hot summer to protect the feet from scorching sands (we have a lot in common with the ancient Egyptians).  Now the Thong has become a staple in almost everyone's wardrobe and considered a 'fashion item' must have when really it's just a piece of rubber, sure you can find them in an array of colours with an array of price tags but being born in Australia myself I like to buy only a Big W $5 special (yes, it's true I joined the thong wearers on my return to the birth place).  

The thong - It's as common as bung Fritz at the supermarket or chicken loaf or Vegiemite or just as lovable as Agro the foul mouthed childrens puppet.



I don't need any fancy name attached to don the thong.

Australia December 2011


Yours sincerly,
Ranty Pants

2 comments:

  1. New Zealanders call them Jandals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know, my humble apologies. I have said to a friend of a friend that I would write up about the Jandal and other strange fashion words in the future. Peace Out!

      Delete